Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. Phillipians 4:6



Thursday, October 28, 2010

Time for a trip to the doctor....

So after a year of trying to conceive I decided to go see my OB/GYN to ask a few questions and get his opinion on our situation. He didn't seem concerned at all and actually told me to give it a couple of more months. He said that if I wasn't pregnant in 3 months to call and schedule an appointment with the infertility doctor. Wait a minute......the infertility doctor? Apparently, once you have tried to conceive naturally for one year with no luck you are considered infertile.

So, three months (and tons of tears) passed and we still weren't pregnant. I made the dreaded appointment with the infertility doctor. I was so nervous, anxious and excited about the appointment. The thought of what might be wrong was scaring me to death......but hoping that this would finally be the end of my "trying to conceive" journey was exciting. Boy was I wrong. It was only the beginning.

My first appointment was basically just a consultation with the nurse. She went over all the potential problems with couples who are having trouble getting pregnant. She seemed very optimistic for us because, after all, we had gotten pregnant before. The next appointment was just a bunch of bloodwork. I found out that I was no longer immune to whooping cough and had to get a vaccine......which meant we couldn't try for a month. (A month seems like a year when you are "ttc".) They also told me that my Estrogen seemed to be a little low. They said that was not a big deal and they would probably just start me on Clomid. I had heard of Clomid before and was sooooo excited about it. Everyone I talked to that had taken Clomid had gotten pregnant within 3 months. Yayyyy!!!!! It's finally going to happen. I will be pregnant in no time and this will all be behind me......

I took Clomid for three months and even did an HCG shot with it the third month. Nothing.....except for the most horrible mood swings you could possibly imagine. I'm surprised my marriage didn't fall apart in the process. I never in a million years could have imagined the stress and strain that infertility could put on a marriage. This was supposed to be fun and exciting. But it turned into anger, jealousy, resentment, sadness, and depression. I finallly got to the point where I didn't want to talk to anyone, see anyone or do anything. I just wanted to sit at home by myself and cry. Everywhere I went I was surrounded by pregnant women. I couldn't get away from them. I had become a person that I never thought I could be.

No comments:

Post a Comment